Monday 21 April 2014

Dorset Piddle, Wild Brown Trout

Today, Easter Monday, found me in possession of a Pink Ticket to disappear for a day's fishing. I was heading for the Dorset Piddle, to fish a syndicate water which I was fully expecting to have all to myself.

I'd compared notes last week with a fellow member of the other syndicate to which I belong, and found that he was heading to Essex for a visit with the in-Laws. Now, I love my in-Laws as much as - if not more than - the next man; but I seemed to detect a hint of envy on Philip's part when I told him I would be on the water whilst be negotiated the M25.....

Just to be clear, I had "done my bit" on Easter Sunday. An unnecessarily lengthy church service - check. Ironed twenty work shirts - check. Walked with Border Terriers - check. Good Friday and Saturday had been spent in the garden and at garden centres. Both cars had been washed, so dues had been paid in full. I had the receipts to prove it.

Digressing for a moment, on Thursday 24th April I'll be spending the day volunteering for the worthy charitable cause that is Fishing for Forces. I'm looking forward to this immensely; I can't begin to imagine what active service in Afghanistan must be like. I do, however, know what a long-distance commute followed by the delights of the Waterloo & City Line is like, and how much that makes me hunger after peace and quiet.

So, back to today. Unlike my last outing there was no last-minute detour east to the Meon. I was tempted - briefly - but stuck to my plan to head west for my first day on the Piddle in 2014's trout season. And what a glorious morning it was. Words can't do justice to describe the fields of oilseed rape and I was once again left to ponder on how much earlier Spring has sprung in 2014, compared to 2013. At the river, I remarked to myself on how far the vegetation and trees had grown on since my last visit on a working party three weeks before. Rain yesterday and overnight had introduced a tinge of colour to the water, and I thought that sight fishing would be difficult.

And, so it proved. I was pressed for time so had planned to fish the water at the top of the beat. This is the clearest and most open stretch, with room to use a longer rod and a decent back-cast. A small, Olive emerger pattern went on the business end, and I cast this speculatively for the first half hour or so. Whilst enjoyable, this was unproductive. There were insects in the air but no sign of a hatch and no rising fish, so on went the nymphing rig.

Approaching the weir pool

This is a little deeper than it looks, and I was wary of a rather silty bottom, so fished from the bank. How I came to be in the water to get the shot above will become clear. With a mixture of lobbing and casting, I targeted the slightly deeper water by the far bank. Mid-day was approaching, I'd been fishing for an hour, and my first take registered. A small but spirited Piddle brownie of about half a pound gave a good account of itself, followed by a couple more fish of the same size. I connected briefly with what I believe to have been a Piddle "school peal" - very silvery with a dark back. It took to the air and rid itself of my nymph.

Then, still working from the bank, I focused on putting my nymph close in to the opposite bank, where the water was significantly deeper. It looked trouty. Mid-drift, not just a hesitation but a dead stop, followed by a lift of the rod tip. Resistance. Fish. Current. A sighting. My goodness, this was in a different class - not enormous, but enough of a glimpse to show that this was a striking fish. One I wanted to net and photograph.

It felt securely on, had been for a while. I slid into the water, unshipped my net, and tried to stay downstream. Before too long, this rather striking brownie was in the net. Relieved, I readied the camera. A very spirited fish. Who cares what it weighs, I was transfixed by the spots. This was just so beautiful, the colours so vivid, and the creature so proud and magnificent.

Speechless.


The Red Spots

Need I say any more? After releasing and reflecting on such a bonnie fish, I continued along the beat. I caught more, I missed more. I went home happy. Anybody fancy a close up?

Dorset's finest

That was one Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment